Wednesday 9 October 2024

‘I understand the power of words to both uplift and hold back’



Dr Denise Miller on her journey to being awarded a National Teaching Fellowship by Advance HE.

07 October 2024


During my secondary school years, one moment stands out with particular clarity. I shared my aspiration to become a teacher with the deputy headteacher/careers advisor. His response, a dismissive laugh, suggested that my goal was unrealistic and unworthy of serious consideration. Rather than allowing this to deter me, it fuelled my determination to prove that I was more than capable of achieving what he had deemed improbable.

You see, I come from a long line of activists, dreamers, and achievers. My amazing parents, Eric and Shirley Miller, migrated from Jamaica to the UK in search of a better life in the 1950s, during the Windrush era. They embodied resilience and perseverance, traits that were deeply ingrained in me as I grew up in this supportive environment. Their influence instilled in me a quiet confidence that I could succeed in any endeavour I committed myself to; albeit they told me that as a Black woman I would have to work at least 10 times harder than my White peers. This belief sustained me until 1996 when I qualified as a primary school teacher, absolutely cognizant of the power of words to both uplift and hold back.

My journey in education did not end there. In 2004–2005, I undertook training to become an educational psychologist. Once qualified, this role became a natural extension of my commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI). Almost a decade later, I returned to the University of Greenwich, where I had initially trained as a teacher, to contribute to institutional change. In my academic positions, I remained fervent in my mission to advance EDI by working across various roles to develop educational environments where all university students felt valued, respected, and supported.

Like many others, however, my career in higher education has had its challenges. Notably, in 2022, I was made redundant from the School of Education. While this was a significant setback, I viewed it as an opportunity to refocus. I transitioned into a new job within the School of Human Sciences, and thereafter, I continued my work towards achieving educational transformation on local, national, and international platforms.

The impact of my efforts and hard work is reflected in the recognitions I have received for my contributions to teaching, learning, and research. A career highlight came in 2024 when I was awarded the prestigious National Teaching Fellowship (NTF). This achievement was historic, as I became the first Black person at the University of Greenwich, and the first Black educational psychologist in the UK, to receive this honour. For me, the NTF represents a personal milestone and also a symbolic victory for people from underrepresented and marginalised backgrounds who are invariably 'working harder' in academia.

So, for those of you who are aspiring to apply for the NTF, my advice is this. Begin the process as early as possible, as preparing a winning application requires considerable thought and planning. Indeed, I found it challenging to balance working on my application with my professional commitments and personal responsibilities, but an early start allowed me to create a structured timeline with space for multiple revisions.

It is equally important not to compare yourself to others. During my application process, I frequently questioned whether my achievements were 'good enough' compared to other candidates. However, you should keep in mind that the NTF recognises excellence in many forms, so just focus on your own unique strengths and contributions.

A significant part of the application process concerns self-reflection and identifying areas for improvement. However, balancing the need to acknowledge shortcomings while highlighting accomplishments can be quite tricky. I would recommend surrounding yourself with mentors and colleagues familiar with the NTF process. Seek constructive feedback from people who can critically evaluate your drafts and who can help you to address the criteria efficiently and effectively.

Finally, make the most of your word count and avoid unnecessary 'waffle'! Instead provide specific examples of your work that clearly align with each criterion. Develop a cohesive and compelling narrative that emphasises your influence and impact, and importantly, support every single claim with strong qualitative and quantitative evidence, such as student feedback and outcomes, evaluative data.

I hope my journey to NTF serves as a source of inspiration for those of you who have encountered doubt, ceilings, or marginalisation, and it encourages you to pursue your aspirations with confidence.

Dr Denise A Miller

Associate Professor of Child and Educational Psychology, University of Greenwich, Institute for Lifecourse Development; chartered member of the British Psychological Society

SOURCE:

No comments:

Post a Comment